Churches can include additional prayer requests, but these are the 7 main areas we are praying for:
1. PRAY FOR UNBELIEVERS TO BE SAVED. Pray that people’s hearts will be opened to repent of their sins and confess Jesus as Savior. Pray that every person in the world will be able to hear the Gospel and the Word of God in their native language. (Matthew 9:37-38; 24:14; Romans 10:1; 2 Peter 3:9; Acts 26:18)
2. PRAY FOR UNITY AMONG PASTORS AND CHURCHES. Pray that denominational, theological, and ethnic walls will come down so that pastors will love each other, pray together, and serve each other.
3. PRAY FOR RACIAL RECONCILIATION. Pray that God will heal our nation of racism and that God will use the church to stand against racial conflict, violence, and prejudice. The church must lead the way in racial reconciliation by modeling love and respect for every person regardless of the color of their skin or their ethnic background.
4. PRAY FOR LIFE TO BE VALUED AND PROTECTED through all stages of life, beginning at conception.
5. PRAY FOR LOCAL GOVERNMENTAL LEADERS including all mayors, city councilors, school boards and police departments.
Steps to Launch a Day of Prayer
1. ADOPT A DAY OF PRAYER
Sign up for a monthly full day of prayer (24 hours) or half day of prayer (12 hours). Your church will pray the same day of the month (1st, 8th) or day of the week (2nd Wednesday, 4th Friday).
2. APPOINT A PRAYER COORDINATOR
The Prayer Coordinator is a member of the church, who under the leadership of the pastor, can organize, schedule and provide general leadership for the church’s prayer activities (including the day of prayer). This person must have an active and healthy prayer life, a good reputation in and outside of church, and have the ability to lead in prayer and mobilize others to pray.
3. SHARE THE VISION
The Pastor shares the vision with the church during Sunday morning services a few weeks before the first monthly day of prayer. Points to include:
Share the goals behind the day of prayer
Affirm the prayer coordinator and his/her role
Encourage people to sign up for 30 – 60 minute prayer slots